• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Installing mesh in lower grill /intake to protect intercooler?

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
The lower intake vents are huge and completely open. I was thinking about installing some mesh (there are aluminum and plastic mesh grills on Amazon under the brand AggAuto) behind the opening to prevent rocks, pebbles, or other debris from flying in there. Not sure how to get access between there or how one would affix it (maybe zip ties?)

FloArm

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
PRP ITS
This will block air flow to the cooler, and more than you think. A screen window for example does reduce the wind that gets through your window

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
You can also check Custom Car Grills website - TONS of options & you can select a more "open" mesh that's not restrictive.

OP
OP

vexingv

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'24 ITS LCM/Red; '16 BMW M235-xdrive
This will block air flow to the cooler, and more than you think. A screen window for example does reduce the wind that gets through your window
I was looking at larger, open mesh options, not a fine mesh like you'd see on screen doors or windows. These are available in aluminum or ABS plastic.

Online, I've seen G80 M3 owners doing the same because of its large (and ugly) open grille, which is what prompted me into thinking this isn't such a bad idea. While rare, I've also read stories of flying rock chips or debris taking out radiators and causing leaks too

Frenzal

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra type S (coming soon)
I've used the gutter mesh plastic thing linked above on all my previous cars. Planning on doing it to the ITS, just didn't had the time yet. Hope it can be done without removing the bumper...

Tw1stedlog1k

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M2 Competition (R.I.P.), ABP ITS
I've done it on my current car and I plan to do it to the ITS also. I think it looks great! Plus no errant debris or rocks. No noticeable performance issues either.
IMG_20221203_112816.jpg