• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

First failure of the "exhaust?"

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
Bad news this week. I'm getting a buzzing sound from the back of the car. Turned on the stereo and I think the subwoofer is gone. But because of the piped in exhaust sounds it's making a buzzing sound even when the stereo is off. Comes and goes. Need to make an appointment with the dealer.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Im assuming this is the beginning of what you posted about in my thread.

I need details, John. Reading this you're making me question if mine is doing something too.

Since my first warranty repair I heard a "buzz" with the stereo off that sounds like it's coming from the back seat. It's only audible when the blower is setting 1, 2, or off and the stereo is off. I thought it was a vibration from something but it almost is the same tone as the car's idle but independent of RPM.

Give me all the juicy details!

OP
OP

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sean you certainly are persistent!

OK, here's story so far.
We bought a 2019 RDX and the dealer service department said no, there is NO piped in sound. I knew it was untrue, but figured they were repeating what Acura corp said.
Bought the 2023 Integra last June. The delightful hum of engine sounds seemed unrealistic for a 1.5 turbo. But I let it go and just enjoyed it.
In the fall, I started hearing a buzzing as part of the engine rev, and sounded like it could be an exhaust failure, but not exactly. So I cranked up the tunes, and opened the hatch, and heard my music distorted out of the subwoofer. Naturally, I jumped to the conclusion that the exhaust buzz was not exhaust related, but was coming out of the speaker.
I tried unsuccessfully to prove this. There's no other manual drivers in my home (long story), so I had my wife rev the engine with the hatch open. No sounds at all out of the speaker.
I took it to my dealer, spoke with a senior service writer and test drove with a lead mechanic. They basically said, "Come back if it gets worse." I did not tell them I thought it was the speaker, I was looking for an admission of the enhanced sounds. Anyway, I went into the sales office and spoke to my sales person. The first thing he said was, do you think it's piped in sound? I agreed, and said that it didn't sound like any failed exhaust I've ever had, but did sound like failed speakers I've had. He went back and talked with the service team, and I waited in the waiting room. Eventually I went for another ride with the lead mechanic in a new 6MT. They didn't know about this car until sales told them, I guess. During the ride I stated the exhaust sound seemed smoother than my car, and he would only agree that it was quieter. So I asked about the enhanced sound. He said I don't think it is on the Integra, only on the NSX. I chuckled on the inside. So I went back to the waiting room. Finally they told me that they would order a replacement exhaust, as a customer accomodation.
The exhaust came in and I scheduled another appointment, but in the meantime I wanted to troubleshoot on my own.
I got a co-worker to drive the car while I lay down in the hatch and listened to the speaker, with the radio off and heard distorted sounds coming out of the speaker.
I told my service writer that I did not want a new exhaust, I wanted confirmation on the enhanced sound, and once confirmed, I wanted the speaker fixed/replaced. Once that was resolved I said I wanted the enhanced sound turned off. They called me back and admitted the piped in sound, but said it was normal and couldn’t be turned off. I said no, this wasn’t normal sound, it was distorted, and something was damaged.
So next step is the service manager. He finally admitted that they weren’t allowed to turn it off. Which is fine. But no one can admit that the sound is distorted. So he says, “now I’ve got a 6MT loaner, so I want to take your CVT loaner and you drive this and let me know if it is better.” I picked that car up and think it’s fine, but I need to do the hatch driving test to be sure. And of course, I had a last minute trip out of town, so the loaner is sitting in my garage until I can test it. That’s where I’m at today, out of town. Hopefully I can test the loaner over the weekend, and let them know so they can get me a new sub. Once the sound is fixed – I like my tunes – I’ll have my shadetree guy look at youtube and disable the artificial noises. That’s the plan anyway.

TL : DR
  1. My Acura dealer confirmed piped in sound. Acura has some BS marketing term for it.
  2. A bad subwoofer will make a slightly unpleasant driving sound.
  3. You can troubleshoot this by having someone drive your car while you lay down in the hatch with your ear next to the sub. I find pretty clear sounds between 3000-4500 rpms.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Sean you certainly are persistent!
That's a nice way of putting it.

OK, here's story so far.
We bought a 2019 RDX and the dealer service department said no, there is NO piped in sound. I knew it was untrue, but figured they were repeating what Acura corp said.
I know that's BS. 2 seconds driving one of those, the pumped in sound is clear as day.

Bought the 2023 Integra last June. The delightful hum of engine sounds seemed unrealistic for a 1.5 turbo. But I let it go and just enjoyed it.
In the fall, I started hearing a buzzing as part of the engine rev, and sounded like it could be an exhaust failure, but not exactly. So I cranked up the tunes, and opened the hatch, and heard my music distorted out of the subwoofer. Naturally, I jumped to the conclusion that the exhaust buzz was not exhaust related, but was coming out of the speaker.
I tried unsuccessfully to prove this. There's no other manual drivers in my home (long story), so I had my wife rev the engine with the hatch open. No sounds at all out of the speaker.
I took it to my dealer, spoke with a senior service writer and test drove with a lead mechanic. They basically said, "Come back if it gets worse." I did not tell them I thought it was the speaker, I was looking for an admission of the enhanced sounds. Anyway, I went into the sales office and spoke to my sales person. The first thing he said was, do you think it's piped in sound? I agreed, and said that it didn't sound like any failed exhaust I've ever had, but did sound like failed speakers I've had. He went back and talked with the service team, and I waited in the waiting room. Eventually I went for another ride with the lead mechanic in a new 6MT. They didn't know about this car until sales told them, I guess. During the ride I stated the exhaust sound seemed smoother than my car, and he would only agree that it was quieter. So I asked about the enhanced sound. He said I don't think it is on the Integra, only on the NSX. I chuckled on the inside. So I went back to the waiting room. Finally they told me that they would order a replacement exhaust, as a customer accomodation.
The exhaust came in and I scheduled another appointment, but in the meantime I wanted to troubleshoot on my own.
I got a co-worker to drive the car while I lay down in the hatch and listened to the speaker, with the radio off and heard distorted sounds coming out of the speaker.
I told my service writer that I did not want a new exhaust, I wanted confirmation on the enhanced sound, and once confirmed, I wanted the speaker fixed/replaced. Once that was resolved I said I wanted the enhanced sound turned off. They called me back and admitted the piped in sound, but said it was normal and couldn’t be turned off. I said no, this wasn’t normal sound, it was distorted, and something was damaged.
So next step is the service manager. He finally admitted that they weren’t allowed to turn it off. Which is fine. But no one can admit that the sound is distorted. So he says, “now I’ve got a 6MT loaner, so I want to take your CVT loaner and you drive this and let me know if it is better.” I picked that car up and think it’s fine, but I need to do the hatch driving test to be sure. And of course, I had a last minute trip out of town, so the loaner is sitting in my garage until I can test it. That’s where I’m at today, out of town. Hopefully I can test the loaner over the weekend, and let them know so they can get me a new sub. Once the sound is fixed – I like my tunes – I’ll have my shadetree guy look at youtube and disable the artificial noises. That’s the plan anyway.
Who's the persistent one now? 🤣

Good to hear they're working with you instead of pushing the car back at you saying nothing is wrong.

I look forward to your update when you get more time with the car!

As far as what I thought might be the same in mine: turns out I'm an idiot and didn't realize that I had to push the button to turn the blower motor off, not just spin the dial all the way down. Not sure if a slight rattle in that is normal or not, but I'll pester the dealer about it next time I see them.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
...turns out I'm an idiot and didn't realize that I had to push the button to turn the blower motor off, not just spin the dial all the way down...
I thought this was something I didn't know either, so I gave it a try. It turns climate control completely off, not just the blower. That, I did know. What I noticed for the first time after 3 1/2 months was that the fan speed is displayed along the top of the knob.

I thought that was kind of cool and was happy the first time I noticed it was when I was sitting in my driveway knob-dicking. To me that speaks to a good design. Unlike the Mk8 GTI I was looking, at temperature and blower adjustments are just a physical knob away, and I know exactly where they are without looking.

OP
OP

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hopefully I can test the loaner over the weekend, and let them know so they can get me a new sub.
The service manager emailed me that they installed a new sub. I tested the loaner and confirmed the piped in sounds were not distorted. This time I had my son test drive for me, and he bounced me around the hatch in all three drive modes. Normal is similar to sport, and comfort is quieter. However, there is a distinctive engine wind over 3000 rpms, even in comfort.

Hopefully I can pick it up after work Monday, and everything sounds good. Then I can execute my plan to disable the sound. I see another poster has already done so successfully.

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The service manager emailed me that they installed a new sub. I tested the loaner and confirmed the piped in sounds were not distorted. This time I had my son test drive for me, and he bounced me around the hatch in all three drive modes. Normal is similar to sport, and comfort is quieter. However, there is a distinctive engine wind over 3000 rpms, even in comfort.

Hopefully I can pick it up after work Monday, and everything sounds good. Then I can execute my plan to disable the sound. I see another poster has already done so successfully.
I must have missed where another poster disabled it. I haven't noticed the piped in noise to be bothersome, but it's just another completely unnecessary modern "feature" that can fail. If it's not too involved, I'd like to turn it off, too. Just like the auto headlights and auto intermittent wipers, this should be an owner selectable option in one of the menus.

Somebody really needs to hack this car.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I will be disabling once it warms up since it's just 1 connector and done.
It’s behind the glovebox. You need to remove the interior trim around it to access it. Here’s a video of the location:

Curl2TheHouse

First Name
PJ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT ABP, 2000 Civic EM1 EBP
This makes me sad but I can't say I'm surprised. I knew they did this in the Civic Si but was hopeful they finally put an end to this terrible trend with the Integra.

Part of what had me convinced otherwise was a few weeks ago I was given a new MDX service loaner and knew immediately the sound was piped in. As soon as you'd switch it to "sport", the exhaust sound would suddenly flood the cabin. It also had me going nuts because the change in pitch didn't even match the change in RPM correctly while driving. I figured it was something to make the grocery getters feel a bit more "badass". Now I just feel sheepish for falling for it as well.

I guess I'm thankful that is much less noticeable but I'm still annoyed. Definitely may consider disconnecting the module...

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I will be disabling once it warms up since it's just 1 connector and done.
Is it the one that looks like it has something around 20 wires going into it right at the beginning? That seems to be a lot of wires for just one function.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Sure can!

Upon further review of the video that looks like a tenth gen civic despite being on the 11th gen forum. That would explain the location change.