• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CVT same as civic?

Spuds_Mackenzie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra, Ram 1500
I’m assuming it is the same but wasn’t sure.

I used to have a 2017 civic sport CVT that I tuned with the Hondata tuner. It made a huge difference and never had a single problem but in the back of my mind I was always concerned about the extra wear on the CVT.

Just wondering if this is a stronger CVT or the same?

I haven’t purchased yet but was planning to within the next couple weeks.

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Interested as well, I have heard so much hate about the CVT, but if its one thing I do know is that Acura or AKA Honda makes the engines that last. This being an ACURA should be no exception. I have heard that more frequent fluid changes will help it maintain performance also dont acelerate too quickly and put heat into the CVT engine will help alot. Do everything gradually, break gradually and accelerate gradually.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
I feel like worry and complaints over CVT's is just way blown out of proportion and really something that you should just drive and never think about.

Really the biggest issues for CVT are: 1) heat 2) tq.

They are NOT intended for performance. Sure they CAN perform well, (see the fact the new WRX CVT is only .2 behind a well driven 6spd) but they are really for smooth comfortable driving. Like any pre-2010ish automatic, if you beat on it like a dog it will fail. Over-all durability just isn't up to a modern 6-10spd auto yet. Now does that mean that having a bit of push when going from 30-70 is going to kill it? very unlikely. But many launches or doing MANY repeated speed changes from say 50-85 repeatedly in a short time, likely will. At least unless you also have a way to add cooling.

For example, look at all the issues Nissan used to get for their CVT, but also look at who most the buyers were. They marketed to the people that had less money which meant they 1) were less likely to have money for proper maintenance, and 2) were more likely to live in areas that didn't have funding to properly fix roads 3) Were usually city/dense suburban areas so lots of stop/go driving, or were 3) sold as a fleet car to rental agencies which well, no one treats a rental right.
That kind of created a great durability test for the Nissan CVT so I'm not TO amazed they were known for higher failures. They were almost the only CVT on the market in high numbers and were in the markets that get abused the most.

I put 30k on a 2014 Nissan CVT with a 185hp/185tq engine over 5years and I had NO issues till the day someone totaled it. I even got well over the advertised HW MPG (38 but I'd easily be getting almost 50 on some long trips). I only did normal maintenance and as much as people hate on the Nissans and CVT's in general I really enjoyed mine. You just have to realize its NOT a performance transmission.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I feel like worry and complaints over CVT's is just way blown out of proportion and really something that you should just drive and never think about.

Really the biggest issues for CVT are: 1) heat 2) tq.

They are NOT intended for performance. Sure they CAN perform well, (see the fact the new WRX CVT is only .2 behind a well driven 6spd) but they are really for smooth comfortable driving. Like any pre-2010ish automatic, if you beat on it like a dog it will fail. Over-all durability just isn't up to a modern 6-10spd auto yet. Now does that mean that having a bit of push when going from 30-70 is going to kill it? very unlikely. But many launches or doing MANY repeated speed changes from say 50-85 repeatedly in a short time, likely will. At least unless you also have a way to add cooling.

For example, look at all the issues Nissan used to get for their CVT, but also look at who most the buyers were. They marketed to the people that had less money which meant they 1) were less likely to have money for proper maintenance, and 2) were more likely to live in areas that didn't have funding to properly fix roads 3) Were usually city/dense suburban areas so lots of stop/go driving, or were 3) sold as a fleet car to rental agencies which well, no one treats a rental right.
That kind of created a great durability test for the Nissan CVT so I'm not TO amazed they were known for higher failures. They were almost the only CVT on the market in high numbers and were in the markets that get abused the most.

I put 30k on a 2014 Nissan CVT with a 185hp/185tq engine over 5years and I had NO issues till the day someone totaled it. I even got well over the advertised HW MPG (38 but I'd easily be getting almost 50 on some long trips). I only did normal maintenance and as much as people hate on the Nissans and CVT's in general I really enjoyed mine. You just have to realize its NOT a performance transmission.
I agree, though 30k on your test vehicle isn't much testing. I had a Prius that was just starting to break-in at 250k miles when I sold it. That had a great transaxel/CVT and only maintenance needed was fluid changes.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
I agree, though 30k on your test vehicle isn't much testing. I had a Prius that was just starting to break-in at 250k miles when I sold it. That had a great transaxel/CVT and only maintenance needed was fluid changes.
30K isn't a lot, but most people in the US are getting a new car every 5-7yrs when the warranty is up and its been paid off. At least that WAS the trend before COVID, so that may change now. Personally, for long term durability I'd always want a manual, it's just cheaper to fix and replace if needed, also easier to upgrade to a more durable or lighter/heavier clutch depending on your needs. To me that's worth the better MPG trade off.
I think CVT's are l likely a better idea for non-performance luxury cars than entry level cars like Altima, Sentra, Civic as they are less likely to be beat on, less likely to be doing almost exclusively city/urban driving, and instead to be soaking up miles, where you want them to just be smooth and returning great MPG. I'd expect them to last longer in that environment then a person doing DoorDash delivery all day long and mostly using gears 1-3 navigating a city. They just don't seem to like that kind of abuse yet.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
CVT’s will last forever with normal driving and care. Honda’s are significantly better quality than Nissan’s. Stop and go or hard braking isn’t an issue (it’ll actually auto downshift for you while harder braking. Sounds cool with an exhaust). Accelerating 40-80 or to any speed while moving already is not an issue. Its only concern is slamming the gas from a dead stop or brake boosting from a stop. It’s not going to handle dozens of those.

You don’t have to baby it or act like there’s egg shells on the gas pedal. “Oh no I had to accelerate from 50-70 just then, can’t do that again for 10 minutes.” Isn’t something to worry about. It’s a proven transmission and Honda’s is the best one.

As long as you get to 5mph or so and roll into the throttle, you’re good. Once you’re at any normal speed and floor it, the transmission logic will automatically delay the power and “downshift” for a hair. Aka floor it on the second honk ;)

Last edited:

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Just like any thing (or transmission) there are good CVTs and bad ones.

They exist for better fuel economy. They don’t handle high torque well. They don’t feel as responsive as other types of automatics, or manuals.

They have their benefits: better efficiency, typically less complex than a typical AT, traffic friendly like any AT.

Personally, I’ve driven CVTs from a few manufacturers and hope to never own one. Ideally the transition will be from Honda MT to something electrified/wo a transmission in 5-10 years.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
The integras cvt is extremely responsive.

ldudiaz

First Name
Lisandro Diaz U
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
I have a cvt one and my son has the 6 speed. I’m not doing 0-60 or anything like that. But I can tell you for a fact that the integra cvt responds very well and I never feel underpowered