Sponsored

Autocross megathread

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S (LCM)
Probably not necessary for a normal event, but after a full day, really could use some padding on that hard plastic lower center console.... My knee is not happy from bracing against it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S, 2023 Macan GTS
Probably not necessary for a normal event, but after a full day, really could use some padding on that hard plastic lower center console.... My knee is not happy from bracing against it.
What's funny is that I felt this way after my first autocross, but didn't "brace" enough to really notice when I went to an actual track. I've been to one more autocross since and didn't notice either... albeit the last one was in the rain so maybe wasn't generating as many g forces as usual.

IDK. The seat conversation will always be relevant with these cars and motorsports. I love the seats for daily use but I would actually consider something more serious for track stuff, now having owned the car a significant amount of time.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What's funny is that I felt this way after my first autocross, but didn't "brace" enough to really notice when I went to an actual track. I've been to one more autocross since and didn't notice either... albeit the last one was in the rain so maybe wasn't generating as many g forces as usual.

IDK. The seat conversation will always be relevant with these cars and motorsports. I love the seats for daily use but I would actually consider something more serious for track stuff, now having owned the car a significant amount of time.
For my uses the seats are fine, also I did want to share a funny story. Everyone focuses on the driver in this instance, never the passenger. All I know is instructors were fighting to sit in my car and be comfortable instead of trying to contort themselves into the race spec Miatas with Recaros and harnesses :)

Also, as a tip, flip your headrest if you need more clearance for your helmet. Worked great for me, just remember to move it back before you leave the event....

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@ZeroGSR I guess I'm short then because I had zero problems with helmet clearance. For reference I'm 5'11".

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@ZeroGSR I guess I'm short then because I had zero problems with helmet clearance. For reference I'm 5'11".
Oh, not height (I am 6', PLENTY of room) I meant for comfort. My head is pushed forward due to the depth of the helmet, flipping the headrest gives you more room behind you so your head sits more naturally in line with your body.

Sponsored

Gefiltefish

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I got my Type-S about a month ago and will be jumping in the B-Street waters full blast. Ordered my wheels (18x9.5 ET58 Apex EC-7) and tires (V730 in 275/35-18) on Wednesday.... I have left-over sway bars from when I campaigned my 10th/11th gen Civics (had an '18 Si, '20 Sport Hatch and '22 Si). I will likely start the year with my RV6 rear bar as its far less noisy than my Karcepts bar.

I run a lot Nationally so will be out and about in Pro/Tour events in the midwest. As well as local events in the Milwaukee/Chicago area.

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I got my Type-S about a month ago and will be jumping in the B-Street waters full blast. Ordered my wheels (18x9.5 ET58 Apex EC-7) and tires (V730 in 275/35-18) on Wednesday.... I have left-over sway bars from when I campaigned my 10th/11th gen Civics (had an '18 Si, '20 Sport Hatch and '22 Si). I will likely start the year with my RV6 rear bar as its far less noisy than my Karcepts bar.

I run a lot Nationally so will be out and about in Pro/Tour events in the midwest. As well as local events in the Milwaukee/Chicago area.
I saw the EC-7s on Apex's website the other day. I wish there were more wheel options in that offset.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Anyone know what SCCA class a "slightly" modified DE5 would run in? I believe I can qualify for Street Touring, no interest in being competitive just not dealing with protests. Would it be STX then? I haven't found a decent breakdown on how Street Touring is split up, then my local chapter has their own variations...

Last edited:

mattm

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura ITS, BMW 1M Coupe
Define "slightly" modified. Post all that you've done.

ZeroGSR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Define "slightly" modified. Post all that you've done.
I am not too worried about if I fall in or out of Street Touring, as much as which class of Street Touring I fall into. STH makes the most sense, but looking at Nationals that doesn't seem right, more likely STX.

As for mods, Downpipe, Intake, tune (but can always turn that off), springs, strut bar, rear sway bar, stock 265 tires. Plus a whole bunch of crap that won't actually help performance. Technically our stock rims are too wide for anything but STU/STP though...

Sponsored

mattm

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura ITS, BMW 1M Coupe
You may have answered your own question. :) Because autocrossing is self policing, folks appreciate a car being in the correct class.

Gefiltefish

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
I am not too worried about if I fall in or out of Street Touring, as much as which class of Street Touring I fall into. STH makes the most sense, but looking at Nationals that doesn't seem right, more likely STX.

As for mods, Downpipe, Intake, tune (but can always turn that off), springs, strut bar, rear sway bar, stock 265 tires. Plus a whole bunch of crap that won't actually help performance. Technically our stock rims are too wide for anything but STU/STP though...
Although the car has not officially been classed in Street Touring yet - the car would be in STU along with the FK8 and FL5. All of the mods you mentioned are allowed in STU.

You need to submit a request to have it classed officially which can be done at https://crbscca.com/ .

OP
OP
optronix

optronix

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Although the car has not officially been classed in Street Touring yet - the car would be in STU along with the FK8 and FL5. All of the mods you mentioned are allowed in STU.

You need to submit a request to have it classed officially which can be done at https://crbscca.com/ .
I have yet to mess around with SCCA, still putzing around with my local PCA chapters to get my AX groove on... but crap like this is what's keeping me away.

Why in the hell does it take so long for the powers-that-be to collect enough requests to "class" a car??? Cant' they just understand the market and get out ahead of it? It's not like the DE5 reveal was this big secret. It's basically a lux FL5, everyone under the sun has known this since at least April- can we not waste a whole season like this?

It just feels like so many of these rules are arbitrary. I get why they do it this way, to try to keep things even and competitive, avoid a "meta", etc.- it's just a turn off.

I seriously have enough bullshit knowledge collecting dust in my brain, I don't want to have to take a 300-level course to learn the classing rules before I even get behind the wheel. Is there at least a good primer on this bullshit somewhere? I swear I've looked before but probably got frustrated and gave up.

Gefiltefish

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Why in the hell does it take so long for the powers-that-be to collect enough requests to "class" a car??? Cant' they just understand the market and get out ahead of it? It's not like the DE5 reveal was this big secret. It's basically a lux FL5, everyone under the sun has known this since at least April- can we not waste a whole season like this?
Firstly, I am currently a member of the committee for SCCA that classes cars in the Street category. Each category (Street, Street Touring, Street Prepared, etc) has its own classing committee. Its 100% volunteer and eats up many hours of my free time per month. We get nothing for it. I am serving my 7th and final year.

With that said - in the Street category we often 'get out ahead' and class a new car before we get a letter from a member asking for it. However, that's rare. The membership is usually more anxious than the committee is! And a car cannot be classed based on speculation of the specifications. It often gets classed when enough journalists (YouTube or print) have gotten to drive them or even until they hit showroom floors.

If a precedent was set where each committee had to class EVERY new car/trim without getting a letter, there would be no volunteers. Who wants to look up the specs on a Nissan Versa?!?! No one will likely ever want to drive one competitively. So why bother? Wait until someone is insane enough to want to drive it at a National-level autocross event and they can write a letter asking for it to be classed.

Additionally, any 2024 model year cars are not officially classed until the 2023 Solo National Championships are complete. That way no one wins a National Championship just because they won the wait-list battle at the dealership.

With ALL of that said - the Type S was clearly not on a lot of members radar. I had to submit a letter to my own committee asking for it to be classed in the Street Category! :D And it appears no one submitted a letter to the Street Touring Committee asking it to be classed there. Keep in mind it the FL5 is in STU so there is no reason for them to place the DE5 anyplace else. And FWD cars don't normally do well in STU as you are up against some AWD and RWD platforms.

I seriously have enough bullshit knowledge collecting dust in my brain, I don't want to have to take a 300-level course to learn the classing rules before I even get behind the wheel. Is there at least a good primer on this bullshit somewhere? I swear I've looked before but probably got frustrated and gave up.
If competing locally and for fun - no need to read the whole rule book! Keep in mind Solo Nationals has 1500 competitors dedicating an entire year to competing at Nationals. Classes have been won by 0.001 of a second over the course of 2 days on 2 different courses. Without strict rules, there would be a lot of cheating and anarchy.

There are plenty of good guides online. This one seems decent: https://www.scca-classifier.com/a/index.html as well as: https://www.wny-scca.com/car-classing-guide/
Sponsored