• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Paint Defect

OP
OP
rjvdas

rjvdas

First Name
Richi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
That clearly looks like touch up paint and human error that knocked a chunk out. Paint defects are usually misapplication of the paint and curing process. You would see clear coat defects, hologram discoloring, blister bubbles etc. This looks more like physically inflicted damage and cover up

You have a legitimate case. All it would take is for them to see youā€™d be willing to take paint samples and demonstrate theyā€™re two separate types of paint.

Yes they donā€™t want to repair it because it would involve repainting the entire door panel. But youā€™re left to foot the bill down the road when more chunks fall off and rusting potentially sets in.

Who knows if warranty would cover it then and repainting years later means the rest of your car would have aged and faded a certain amount.

Itā€™s not an Acura specific quality assurance problem but many manufacturers. Youā€™ve got nothing to lose by pushing your case. The longer you own and drive it only strengthens their case that itā€™s owner inflicted damage plus more ways to void warranties.

Anyways thatā€™s my two cents , pick the best course of action for you
Thanks for the advice! Do you think it would be worth it to get the door repainted? The missing chunk is only about 3-4mm in diameter and is in a pretty inconspicuous location.

I know I said paint mismatches donā€™t really bother me, but thinking about it now, a difference between door panels would.

They gave me an explanation saying that its best to keep as much of the original paint as possible and a file was created with Acura Canada. Could it just be them trying to weasel out of fixing it?

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Thanks for the advice! Do you think it would be worth it to get the door repainted? The missing chunk is only about 3-4mm in diameter and is in a pretty inconspicuous location.

I know I said paint mismatches donā€™t really bother me, but thinking about it now, a difference between door panels would.

They gave me an explanation saying that its best to keep as much of the original paint as possible and a file was created with Acura Canada. Could it just be them trying to weasel out of fixing it?
If not repainted get it professionally repaired. When metal is exposed it can start of small but worsen over time as corrosion and rust sets in. That touch up paint isnā€™t paint primer and clear coat.

Hereā€™s what happened to my TL that was at first a tiny chip before rust did itā€™s thing and chunks began falling away over the course of several years
28C47A5B-06DA-44A4-A34B-749ABFF64091.png

OP
OP
rjvdas

rjvdas

First Name
Richi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
If not repainted get it professionally repaired. When metal is exposed it can start of small but worsen over time as corrosion and rust sets in. That touch up paint isnā€™t paint primer and clear coat.

Hereā€™s what happened to my TL that was at first a tiny chip before rust did itā€™s thing and chunks began falling away over the course of several years
28C47A5B-06DA-44A4-A34B-749ABFF64091.png
Wow, I definitely donā€™t want that happening to my car. Iā€™ll try to get it repaired then for sure. Thanks again!

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Wow, I definitely donā€™t want that happening to my car. Iā€™ll try to get it repaired then for sure. Thanks again!
Yeah sorry if it seems over blown but most problems donā€™t seem like a big deal but itā€™s about addressing it right at the start. Nip it at the bud.

Obviously you can see I learned the hard way. There was a hail storm and I spotted a very tiny chip so small I thought nothing if it and added black touch up paint. I was wrong.

Bare metal was already exposed. Corrosion and rust started eating away as you can see in the picture. Thick layers of paint around it began cracking and falling off.

Of course by this time warranty doesnā€™t cover it and insurance wonā€™t pay for it. They said itā€™s user error and ā€œnormal wear and tearā€ as well as maintenance negligence . No one is going to believe it was hail damage so itā€™s a losing battle

Lflouie

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
AUDI S4, Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
Do not repaint entire door!

Take your car to a very good paint correction/ppf/ detail shop. Your paint defect is a combination of a mechanical defect ( missing and raised paint) that actually looks more like a bubble that burst during the painting process...but no way to confirm.

The dealer will gently sand the raised edges of the defect flush with the finish and then fill with touchup paint and once again said yntil flush with very fine 3000 or 4000 wet sandpaper to blend it together. Note, bc of the metallic and pearl finish it will never perfectly match.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjvdas

rjvdas

First Name
Richi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S

Take your car to a very good paint correction/ppf/ detail shop. Your paint defect is a combination of a mechanical defect ( missing and raised paint) that actually looks more like a bubble that burst during the painting process...but no way to confirm.

The dealer will gently said the a raised edges of the defect flush with the finish an then fill with touchup paint and once again said yntil flush with very fine 3000 or 4000 wet sandpaper to blend it together. Note, bc of the metallic and pearl finish it will never perfectly match.
Yeah, I wonā€™t be repainting the door. A bubble bursting during the painting process sounds very possible too as it looks too round, which is why I assumed it was a defect rather than damage.

Mugenkb1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
05 Acura RL, 16 Acura MDX, 17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
A body shop won't need to repaint the whole door for that, well not the base coat at least. They'll sand the area even, and sand the clear on the rest of the door. Then apply base coat to that area and blend a bit more into the door. Then they'll clear the whole panel with a couple layers of new clear coat so the paint blends in seamlessly. Definitely not gonna have to strip off all the paint for that. Depending on the body shop, there's body shops out there that do poor to mediocre work, and then there's ones out there that do a better job than factory.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX

The dealer will gently said the a raised edges of the defect flush with the finish an then fill with touchup paint and once again said yntil flush with very fine 3000 or 4000 wet sandpaper to blend it together. Note, bc of the metallic and pearl finish it will never perfectly match.
Bubble burst could be the case and valid point. Although if itā€™s a solvent bursting they typically appear in clusters. The issue at hand is that the car warranty typically guarantees your vehicle against manufacturing and installation defects. Car insurances on the other hand covers you against external damages.

@rjvidas just bought the car and itā€™s clearly paint defect during the fabrication process. Bare metal was already exposed so the rusting has already begun. Touch up paint does -not- prevent or reverse rusting corrosion. It needs to be sanded and treated then primer with paint applied.

Down the line his warranty could be denied because it doesnā€™t cover paint damages that have been exposed to the ā€œelementsā€. I mean, air is an elementā€¦ repaint now or repaint later if the defect worsens itā€™s a matter of who pays for it.

If he waits until later and continues driving it how would he defeat this:

3BFE96CB-860B-4CEF-A58E-3CAE28E883D9.jpeg

He would not only have to do all of those items as well as proving it. How would he prove his ITS was always garaged? Washed regularly? Whose definition of ā€œregularlyā€? Or why didnā€™t he repair scratches that cause rusting, which could extend to why didnā€™t he repair that crater with touch up paint sitting on the exposed metal

Now is the best time to address it. Any Acura dealership would have to cover warranty defects.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rjvdas

rjvdas

First Name
Richi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Bubble burst could be the case and valid point. Although if itā€™s a solvent bursting they typically appear in clusters. The issue at hand is that the car warranty typically guarantees your vehicle against manufacturing and installation defects. Car insurances on the other hand covers you against external damages.

@rjvidas just bought the car and itā€™s clearly paint defect during the fabrication process. Bare metal was already exposed so the rusting has already begun. Touch up paint does -not- prevent or reverse rusting corrosion. It needs to be sanded and treated then primer with paint applied.

Down the line his warranty could be denied because it doesnā€™t cover paint damages that have been exposed to the ā€œelementsā€. I mean, air is an elementā€¦ repaint now or repaint later if the defect worsens itā€™s a matter of who pays for it.

If he waits until later and continues driving it how would he defeat this:

3BFE96CB-860B-4CEF-A58E-3CAE28E883D9.jpeg

Now is the best time to address it. Any Acura dealership would have to cover warranty defects.
Sounds good. Seems like the general consensus is to have the dealership fix it now than later down the line. I will be contacting their service manager right away.

Azkyrie6

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura TL, Acura MDX
Sounds good. Seems like the general consensus is to have the dealership fix it now than later down the line. I will be contacting their service manager right away.
Yes you have a legal contract with your dealer and Acura canada for paint defects. The ball is in your court. Laying it out in laymanā€™s terms, your dealer and its technician are dragging their feet to buy time.

When they state, ā€œThe door will be left alone in the interest of corrosion protection and the appearance of the door paint.ā€ Really takes some mental gymnastics to get around that statement. Why would leaving the door panel alone be in the interest of corrosion protection when youā€™re seeking repairs to stop corrosion from spreading. Fixing the problem now ensures the quality appearance of the door paint in the first place.

Itā€™s a fear tactic leading customers to think if they pressed the dealer into action it would be the customers fault for corrosion and ruined appearance. Dealer prefers that itā€™s your fault and will buy time to find viable clauses to make it so.

Theyā€™re passing the badge of responsibility to you to babysit their defect, not your role. Our role is to perform maintenance as we drive the vehicle, oil, fluids, brakes etc. because we cause wearing. You didnā€™t cause the defect nor did you slap touch up paint on it. Once they realize that you understand this and your legal contract. The power and time is back in your favor.

OP
OP
rjvdas

rjvdas

First Name
Richi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
Yes you have a legal contract with your dealer and Acura canada for paint defects. The ball is in your court. Laying it out in laymanā€™s terms, your dealer and its technician are dragging their feet to buy time.

When they state, ā€œThe door will be left alone in the interest of corrosion protection and the appearance of the door paint.ā€ Really takes some mental gymnastics to get around that statement. Why would leaving the door panel alone be in the interest of corrosion protection when youā€™re seeking repairs to stop corrosion from spreading. Fixing the problem now ensures the quality appearance of the door paint in the first place.

Itā€™s a fear tactic leading customers to think if they pressed the dealer into action it would be the customers fault for corrosion and ruined appearance. Dealer prefers that itā€™s your fault and will buy time to find viable clauses to make it so.

Theyā€™re passing the badge of responsibility to you to babysit their defect, not your role. Our role is to perform maintenance as we drive the vehicle, oil, fluids, brakes etc. because we cause wearing. You didnā€™t cause the defect nor did you slap touch up paint on it. Once they realize that you understand this and your legal contract. The power and time is back in your favor.
Gotcha. Iā€™m sad Iā€™ll have to leave my car there again after theyā€™ve had it for three weeks, but I guess itā€™s for the best. Haha šŸ˜“

JCJai

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Abarth 500, 2024 Integra Type S
Gotcha. Iā€™m sad Iā€™ll have to leave my car there again after theyā€™ve had it for three weeks, but I guess itā€™s for the best. Haha šŸ˜“
yo! Everyone should check the inside edge of the rear bumper against the tail light in the corner. Paint is literally chipping off.

tempImagenmueNX.png

tempImageyBgCux.png
tempImage5q7Ppx.png
tempImagealnQc8.png

The pictures are quite shit, but check out this not sold TypeS in my dealership!! BRAND FUCKING NEW, but still got the same chips in the same location as mine. šŸ˜‚
tempImageLG4rEU.png

OP
OP
rjvdas

rjvdas

First Name
Richi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S
yo! Everyone should check the inside edge of the rear bumper against the tail light in the corner. Paint is literally chipping off.

tempImagenmueNX.png

tempImageyBgCux.png
tempImage5q7Ppx.png
tempImagealnQc8.png

The pictures are quite shit, but check out this not sold TypeS in my dealership!! BRAND FUCKING NEW, but still got the same chips in the same location as mine. šŸ˜‚
tempImageLG4rEU.png
image_67172353.JPG

image_67131393.JPG

...I'm gonna cry

lz23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
z
image_67172353.JPG

image_67131393.JPG

...I'm gonna cry
That's why I backed out of the car when my dealer told me it was in.The paint on these cars is shitty and as I mentioned in a previous post that there will be more issues showing up, from almost all colors having mismatched paint on front and rear bumpers to chips and bubbles and clear coat issues etc.