• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

6 Spd shifter boot disconnect

solman

First Name
Sol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra ASPEC 6MT TECH, 2011 Ford F250
I wanted to drop the shifter boot on my car to possibly change the knob for on which won't freeze or burn my hand in weather extremes. Last summer was a burn my hand learning experience and I actually put a leather glove over the shifter knob on very hot sunny days. I tried to pry the boot down with a plastic tool and had no luck at all. I didn't want to get to forceful with it as I was concerned about something breaking. I know that plastic parts that snap together are often a one shot deal. Anyone have success with this?

AdamW

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 5-speed; 2023 Integra
I wanted to drop the shifter boot on my car to possibly change the knob for on which won't freeze or burn my hand in weather extremes. Last summer was a burn my hand learning experience and I actually put a leather glove over the shifter knob on very hot sunny days. I tried to pry the boot down with a plastic tool and had no luck at all. I didn't want to get to forceful with it as I was concerned about something breaking. I know that plastic parts that snap together are often a one shot deal. Anyone have success with this?
I changed my shifter without removing the boot. I just turned the shift knob counterclockwise (it takes some initial force) and it unscrewed easily after that.

enjay4553

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra, 2018 Mazda 3 GT, 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
You'll have to unscrew the knob. You'd have to pop off the center console to remove the boot and install a new adapter.

OP
OP
solman

solman

First Name
Sol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I thought that you need to have access to the nut below the knob to back it off and remove the knob. also need to tighten up the nut against the knob to index the new knob

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
Try again using more force and a slight back and forth twisting motion. It will pop off and won't break.

Subby625

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra 2023
My personal experience was that I had to use an excessive amount of force that ended up breaking the plastic OEM clip. But it’s very easily replaced with the Acuity boot collar, and honestly it looks nicer

AdamW

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1999 Toyota 4Runner SR5 5-speed; 2023 Integra
I thought that you need to have access to the nut below the knob to back it off and remove the knob. also need to tighten up the nut against the knob to index the new knob
I did not need access to the nut below the shift knob on my integra. No messing with the boot, collar or anything else. Just unscrew the factory shift knob itself and it will back right off. You will have to turn it pretty hard at first. My new shift knob lined up perfectly straight, nice and snug. Super easy.

OP
OP
solman

solman

First Name
Sol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
OK good to know. I now have to find a shift knob I like that won't burn my hand.