• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Dealership Markups

lnf

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lunar Silver, 6MT Integra
I am currently going through the process of building an 2023 Acura Integra with my local dealership. I have my call to put in a reservation for a Lunar Silver Metallic w/black interior 6MT, tomorrow. Are the dealerships you are working with transparent up front about any potential markups once built?

I know you will probably say... "Just ask your sales rep!", but I am a little giddy being this is my first new car and also don't want to sour my relationship right off the bat. Just curious to see if markups are happening on these cars/what to expect?

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
Your dealership knows what they're going to charge you before you walk through the door--be upfront with them before you even start a reservation, "How do you price your vehicles? Are you going to expect me to pay above MSRP? What about accessories? Do you intend to put anything on the car that I didn't request then charge me for it? Mats? Ceramic coating? Anti-theft devices?"

If you wait until you see your car sitting there, it may be a lot harder to walk and more tempting to try to negotiate on these things. If you address them now and don't like what you're hearing, you can easily find several other dealerships willing to sell this car at MSRP with no accessories.

Desert Driver

First Name
Simmons
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra ASpec Tech 6MT in liquid carbon metallic
Your dealership knows what they're going to charge you before you walk through the door--be upfront with them before you even start a reservation, "How do you price your vehicles? Are you going to expect me to pay above MSRP? What about accessories? Do you intend to put anything on the car that I didn't request then charge me for it? Mats? Ceramic coating? Anti-theft devices?"

If you wait until you see your car sitting there, it may be a lot harder to walk and more tempting to try to negotiate on these things. If you address them now and don't like what you're hearing, you can easily find several other dealerships willing to sell this car at MSRP with no accessories.
^ This.

Reactions: lnf
OP
OP
lnf

lnf

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

This was super helpful, thank you!

Before I could even ask these questions before reserving, my salesmen said no markup and no added accessories. They may throw in a couple dealer accessories for me on the demo model, if it becomes available (LC/Red 6mt). If not, I will continue in the queue!

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
This was super helpful, thank you!

Before I could even ask these questions before reserving, my salesmen said no markup and no added accessories. They may throw in a couple dealer accessories for me on the demo model, if it becomes available (LC/Red 6mt). If not, I will continue in the queue!
Happy to help! And for what it's worth, some dealerships are letting folks drive demo models, some are holding them as showroom cars for people to reserve and buy once the 60 day demo window passes and they can sell them. If you like the specs of the demo model, it may be worth asking if they'll let you put a reservation on it then stick it in the show room--personally, I'd be leery of buying a demo car because people aren't always particularly kind on test drives.

On a similar note, if they'll let you reserve the car (with or without test drives, whatever you're comfortable with) you could ask them what accessories they intend to put on there and see if you can negotiate on what you want/don't want. My reason: If I were a dealership looking to make money, I'd put the CF mirror caps, CF spoiler, and 19" wheels--they're minimal work to install, but add $5,400+ to the price. Easy money. If they let you reserve the car and you're looking to stay in the neighborhood of MSRP, they might be willing to limit the accessories to floor mats and the trunk liners, or something like that.

OP
OP
lnf

lnf

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Happy to help! And for what it's worth, some dealerships are letting folks drive demo models, some are holding them as showroom cars for people to reserve and buy once the 60 day demo window passes and they can sell them. If you like the specs of the demo model, it may be worth asking if they'll let you put a reservation on it then stick it in the show room--personally, I'd be leery of buying a demo car because people aren't always particularly kind on test drives.

On a similar note, if they'll let you reserve the car (with or without test drives, whatever you're comfortable with) you could ask them what accessories they intend to put on there and see if you can negotiate on what you want/don't want. My reason: If I were a dealership looking to make money, I'd put the CF mirror caps, CF spoiler, and 19" wheels--they're minimal work to install, but add $5,400+ to the price. Easy money. If they let you reserve the car and you're looking to stay in the neighborhood of MSRP, they might be willing to limit the accessories to floor mats and the trunk liners, or something like that.
Sorry, English was my worst subject in school... Basically, they said they could throw in the A-spec mats for free and maybe the protection package, if I purchase the demo model.

I agree on the demo being beat (I may or may not have got on it a couple times) and really dont mind to wait the 4-9 months they detailed on my reservation. I reserved a lunar silver/ebony 6mt and said I would be open to a Liquid Carbon/ebony/red if anyone backs out. They also reserved me for the demo model, like you described.

For now I will continue to daily my SS.