• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best exhaust for CVT base spec?

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra, 240sx
I'm looking at getting the Thermal R&D exhaust for my base spec integra but I want to make sure it doesn't sound like a moped because of the CVT transmission.
  • Does anyone have any sound clips of the thermal R&D with a CVT or know from experience?
  • Does anyone have any other exhaust recommendations like the apexi with resonators to help with that moped sound?

Padre Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Acura Integra A-Spec, Tech. MT
I have the Thermal R&D on my ASpec 6MT and am delighted with it. Just enough low burble and a nice note on acceleration. My wife, who wears hearing aids gave her blessing for it too, She found my old Mazdaspeed 3 too loud for conversation. I will try to make a recordingā€¦..but I think someone here already did, which is why I ordered it. Price was excellent value too.

OP
OP
Big Duck

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra, 240sx
I have the Thermal R&D on my ASpec 6MT and am delighted with it. Just enough low burble and a nice note on acceleration. My wife, who wears hearing aids gave her blessing for it too, She found my old Mazdaspeed 3 too loud for conversation. I will try to make a recordingā€¦..but I think someone here already did, which is why I ordered it. Price was excellent value too.
Iā€™ve heard it on a 6mt but I donā€™t mind another appreciation sound clip lol. Iā€™m trying to find a sound clip on an automatic cvt

22si

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Civic Si
Iā€™ve heard it on a 6mt but I donā€™t mind another appreciation sound clip lol. Iā€™m trying to find a sound clip on an automatic cvt

Try speaking with Thermal directly. They seem like a great bunch.

22si

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Civic Si
You can hear the Magnaflow and I don't think it sounds good at all

You can also reach out to @axion_industries , who is a great shop that deals with our platform and get good guidance šŸ˜Š

OP
OP
Big Duck

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra, 240sx
Try speaking with Thermal directly. They seem like a great bunch.
Thermal said it should sound the same just not as deep as the 6mt. Still want to at least get a sound clip before biting the bullet

Finpro807

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A Spec
I got the CVT because I cannot drive stick (I know I know), but man I wish Acura had given the CVT ones the same deep exhaust tone that they gave 6mt. Another post mentioned that the two had different exhaust setup.
https://www.integraforums.com/forum...t-sound-between-base-and-a-spec-models.51166/

I'm thinking about just swapping the larger stock resonators in the middle to a Vibrant 12" bottle resonator and keeping everything else stock, hopefully giving it a deeper tone but not much louder... kind of on a budget and cannot afford to go down to mod rabbit hole lol

Has anybody done resonator swap and care to chime in?

OP
OP
Big Duck

Big Duck

First Name
Big
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Integra, 240sx
I got the CVT because I cannot drive stick (I know I know), but man I wish Acura had given the CVT ones the same deep exhaust tone that they gave 6mt. Another post mentioned that the two had different exhaust setup.
https://www.integraforums.com/forum...t-sound-between-base-and-a-spec-models.51166/

I'm thinking about just swapping the larger stock resonators in the middle to a Vibrant 12" bottle resonator and keeping everything else stock, hopefully giving it a deeper tone but not much louder... kind of on a budget and cannot afford to go down to mod rabbit hole lol

Has anybody done resonator swap and care to chime in?
I think the cvt is missing that deeper tone because the 6mt transmission is making it. I think the cvt still sounds nice. Ive read somewhere that adding a front pipe & downpipe will make the stock exhaust sound better without it being too much. Havenā€™t tried it myself yet since I just got done installing a PRL high volume intake and a phearable tune, but the time will come.

creaturemachine

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
I'm thinking it sounds different because the car is staying in a higher rev range than if you had gears. Makes sense since that's where the power is made. There's probably a little more tuning going on with the stock exhaust to keep it sounding okay at those revs.

You could try to find a stock 6MT or SI system to swap in, but I'm not sure it'll make a big enough improvement. There are probably thousands of those things lying around various garages since so many of us go aftermarket.

DaNuKidd

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-spec tech
The CVT integras sound different compared to the 6MT because the resonator is larger on the CVT models from the factory.