• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Wrapped shift trim in faux leather

StormtrooperTK421

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech
Initially, I had wrapped the shift trim in a "carbon fiber" wrap, but I wanted something a little more on the luxury side, so I decided to use black leather wrap.

Here's what I learned:

-It is DIFFICULT to remove once applied. This is not so with the thinner, more common vinyl wraps. The first time I wrapped it, I removed it all because I had done such a poor job and the adhesive it left behind was beyond maddening. I used Goo-Gone in an attempt to remove it, but found that only industrial strength floor adhesive remover would remove it...as well as the paint. SO, I had to sand it down to get it smooth again before attempt #2 which was MUCH better.

-GET A HEAT GUN. It helps the wrap, especially the thicker, leather wrap, to stretch giving you professional looking results.

-GET A RAZORBLADE OR X-ACTO KNIFE. You need to make precise cuts and scissors don't cut it...literally.

-WHEN, NOT IF, you find bubbles in your wrap after everything is re-installed, use a tiny syringe to pierce the bubble, suck out the air and then smooth out the area AS you are pulling the needle out.

-The leather wrap was from Amazon and was $21 and took approx 2 hours to apply (the second time).

Here is my result:

IMG_0694.jpg

I'm VERY happy with the result! Was it extremely difficult to get a near-perfect result? Absolutely. But I love the feel, how it doesn't pick up prints and how real it looks. Personally, I think it looks more real than the faux leather that comes stock on the car (look how it compares to the armrest).

Next mod is the removal of the "suede" on the seats with a full-grain leather reupholster. My appointment is tomorrow and I'll post results at the end of the week.

Last edited:

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
That's awesome. Can you share a link to the product you bought?

OP
OP
StormtrooperTK421

StormtrooperTK421

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra A-Spec Tech
That's awesome. Can you share a link to the product you bought?
Here is the wrap I used:

ONine Leather Repair Patch, Leather Repair Tape, 12 x 48 Inches Self-Adhesive Couch Patch, Waterproof, Wear-Resistant, for Furniture, Drivers Seat, Sofas, Car Seats(Black) https://a.co/d/63Ypv3b

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Initially, I had wrapped the shift trim in a "carbon fiber" wrap, but I wanted something a little more on the luxury side, so I decided to use black leather wrap.

Here's what I learned:

-It is DIFFICULT to remove once applied. This is not so with the thinner, more common vinyl wraps. The first time I wrapped it, I removed it all because I had done such a poor job and the adhesive it left behind was beyond maddening. I used Goo-Gone in an attempt to remove it, but found that only industrial strength floor adhesive remover would remove it...as well as the paint. SO, I had to sand it down to get it smooth again before attempt #2 which was MUCH better.

-GET A HEAT GUN. It helps the wrap, especially the thicker, leather wrap, to stretch giving you professional looking results.

-GET A RAZORBLADE OR X-ACTO KNIFE. You need to make precise cuts and scissors don't cut it...literally.

-WHEN, NOT IF, you find bubbles in your wrap after everything is re-installed, use a tiny syringe to pierce the bubble, suck out the air and then smooth out the area AS you are pulling the needle out.

-The leather wrap was from Amazon and was $21 and took approx 2 hours to apply (the second time).

Here is my result:

IMG_0694.jpg

I'm VERY happy with the result! Was it extremely difficult to get a near-perfect result? Absolutely. But I love the feel, how it doesn't pick up prints and how real it looks. Personally, I think it looks more real than the faux leather that comes stock on the car (look how it compares to the armrest).

Next mod is the removal of the "suede" on the seats with a full-grain leather reupholster. My appointment is tomorrow and I'll post results at the end of the week.
Looks very good! I may consider red 🤔