• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What’s it gonna take to get you to buy a Type S?

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Here in Canada..the manual integra is 45k. Thats about the price of used 2018 civic type r. The new type r will probably be a fair bit more than the manual integra. At least 5k. If they are the same price, I'd highly regret purchasing a integra.
Edit - Honda Canada shows 2021 type r at 46 200. I guess they are close in price. They just hold their value really well for resale
Wow! I’m with ya there. Yeah, resale as well as the used car market that has been insanely high priced the past couple years. It was better for me to order a new truck than to buy one on the lot or even a used one last month. 🙄

Last edited:

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
My 2019 Civic Type-R mostly felt like an upgraded Civic Si, a level sharper for sure, more balanced in turns, not harsh in my opinion. And I did notice right away that the times I could use the CTR’s full power was less than the times I could use the Si’s full power. So I was not completely floored from the differences during my every day commuting. It was faster and better, just perhaps more clinical not more exciting. Not as exciting as test driving a Supra or something. The CTR was a decent ride except for those damn seats that everyone else says are very comfortable in the YouTube video reviews, however, they were all smaller dudes and I’d take that info with a huge grain of salt. If you are over 250 or 275 lbs I’d definitely look for better more durable thrones. Admittedly, I did not have the car for that long as a result. And my bigger concern was always the extra special tire setup, it seemed too expensive to maintain in the long run and if you changed it for more normal sporty tires it would mess with the CTR’s FWD handling special sauce set up. In comparison, something like the GR Corolla gets most of its grip and handling from the AWD system, you are more free to put on any sporty tires that tickle your fancy. Whereas the Integra as it is now, it seems more normal in the suspension and tire setup, and perhaps that’s a relief in a way. As now you can upgrade the cars power without messing with the cars overall balance, yet then again you miss out on the CTR’s special sauce handling. That is what I imagine from what little I read on it anyway, I don’t know any of this for sure. I know this, the original BRZ impressed me more on sheer handling than the CTR. In a more fun way if not in a more performance way. They say the Elantra N is more fun in this way too if not as technically good.
Thanks for the feedback on the seats! Seats are definitely important to me as I drive a LOT in comparison to most (60k last year). I’m a little spoiled though & have a 22 Ram Limited with air suspension for my family/main daily, plus I’m only 5’7” and 175lbs (but 37 with backs & hip problems) so the 2020 CTR I test drove was very comfortable to me - granted I’m comparing it to the 99 Trans Am seats (which I sold to get back into the import racing world) & an overly built 2000 Jeep Cherokee that I will likely also auction off after the full Halo Master Chief treatment is complete. So most seats have been uncomfortable for me for quite awhile until I got into the first Ram truck before trading it, therefore my comparisons are a little skewed.

OP
OP
jd2157

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
Ya, no manual will make this decision very easy.

If they do a manual, that’ll be tricky. The ASpec Elite is well optioned so other than more power, bigger wheels/brakes and more seat controls I’m not sure what they’ll add. After freight and pdi it’ll be 50K here at least. Tough sell.

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
I am ready for a high end auto in my life, it just has to be the right one.
I think for a lot of us we are buying our last ICE cars before we move onto driving lame electric cars around.

In my case I usually lease but with the market the way it is I have to finance. I don’t want any buyers remorse on a such a depreciating asset lol especially in a dying breed of ICE sedans

Litflynt912

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Civic EXL HB 2023 Integra A Spec Tech
I think for a lot of us we are buying our last ICE cars before we move onto driving lame electric cars around.

In my case I usually lease but with the market the way it is I have to finance. I don’t want any buyers remorse on a such a depreciating asset lol especially in a dying breed of ICE sedans
lol I wouldn’t use lame…
Wife has a Volvo recharge and I’m planning on either a taycan or ev Macan.
I can attest to you, my taycan test drive was anything but lame. Launch control on a Porsche ev is faster than a rollercoaster

As a Porsche guy I assure you the company is making ev engaging and dynamic

and with my wife’s recharge I love the instant torque leaving all the hellcats and trucks wondering what just happened.
The Acura is my last ice and fully expect support and fuel for my lifetime. For those stressed look at what Porsche is doing with the synthetic fuel research.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT

I would think great ICE cars would actually increase in value as ICE dies.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I think hybrids are the future until the power and battery thing is ironed out

Last edited:

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8 Type R Boost Blue
I'm feeling the same way except I do expect around 270 not 300. I know the Integra is big on luxury features, but that really isn't too important for me personally. I'm mainly interested in the liftback design, exterior, and for me it has to be an auto. I'd settle for an Integra A-spec if only it wasn't a CVT. I wish Acura put the 10sp auto on it even if it was an additional 1k option or something. Since A-spec/Tech prices are teaching 40k OTD, I'm not sure if I want to spend ~44k on a Type S with an Accord power though I'm sure the luxury features warrant the price. I'm considering the Elantra N too, for the power to price, but the only version I can stand to look at is the black one, but even then it's still ugly.

I'm not familiar with the Acura lineup, but best case for me would be if there was a Type S that was an upgrade over the A-spec model (without the tech package) in power and then another version of the Type S with the tech (luxury) package. That's probably too unlikely to happen though.

Edit: i watched a Radi's Integra "review" and I changed my mind I think I'll settle for an A-spec CVT if I don't want a Type S. I like the look of the car too much
Integra Type R has always had more power than the Civic Type R not a chance in hell its under 320 hp since the eurospec type r is already at 316 hp

elisalsa24

First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FK8 Type R Boost Blue
Expectations for the Type-S
  • 272HP
  • Manual and DCT(possibly Accord automatic) options
  • Suspension based on the CTR, but tuned more for a softer ride than the CTR

What I'd LOVE/DREAM for:
  • Previous CTR engine, possibly tweaked to "only" be 290-300hp, a tune change to make it a little smoother for a daily for example giving up a bit of top end for a little more bottom/mid range.
  • Manual.
  • Suspension is almost identical to the CTR but different springs/bars to make it a bit more manageable on daily driven regular roads
More power than CTR for the simple fact that Honda has always made the Integra a faster car than the Civic the only difference I see with these cars is ambient lighting and the 9 speed from the NSX

pomegranate

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'22 Mazda 3 Hatch
Integra Type R has always had more power than the Civic Type R not a chance in hell its under 320 hp since the eurospec type r is already at 316 hp
Integra won't be getting a Type R. Everything points to it getting a Type S like the rest of the Acura lineup. It's unlikely enough that even the ITS will get the CTR powertrain, because Type S's are supposed to be luxury first and power second. The raw and more track-like car will be the CTR. Believe me, I'd be very happy is Acura exceeded my expectations.

OP
OP
jd2157

jd2157

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan MSM
I think hybrids are the future until the power and battery thing is ironed out
Hybrids are an ok way to get some fuel economy improvements while we transition to electric… more so as gas prices increase.

Hybrids aren’t a great long term solution though. They add a lot of complexity and weight plus they’re a fair bit more expensive than their ICE versions so could take years to pay for themselves. Those savings can get eaten up in maintenance costs unless you move on before warranty is gone. Then there isn’t as much selection either with some manufacturers skipping them altogether.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Hybrids are an ok way to get some fuel economy improvements while we transition to electric… more so as gas prices increase.

Hybrids aren’t a great long term solution though. They add a lot of complexity and weight plus they’re a fair bit more expensive than their ICE versions so could take years to pay for themselves. Those savings can get eaten up in maintenance costs unless you move on before warranty is gone. Then there isn’t as much selection either with some manufacturers skipping them altogether.
I agree and think it’s smart for Acura to skip hybrids. You gain a little more mpg than the L15 yet have additional battery maintenance costs. My brother needed a new battery in his Prius and it was like $10k or something ridiculous like that. All while still having maintenance cost of the ICE. Not worth it. Go full ICE or full EV.

KoukiVAB

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18 CTR(Sold), 19 TLX, 21 Veloster N(sold)
More power than CTR for the simple fact that Honda has always made the Integra a faster car than the Civic the only difference I see with these cars is ambient lighting and the 9 speed from the NSX
It's true that both 3rd and 4th gen ITR had a little more power than the CTR, but we're not talking about ITR here.
Also, the 9speed on the NSX is mounted very differently, so it just won't work with any other Honda or Acura.
But ITR would be nice tho. I really hope Acura does this for its final production year or something.
Ok, back to ITS.

3rd gen GS-R had 170hp and ITR had 195hp in the US. At the time, Si had 160hp and CTR (which wasn't sold here) had 182 hp.
RSX Type S had 200hp (210hp for final model year) and the JDM ITR had 217hp. 7th gen Si had 160hp and the JDM CTR had 212hp.
So the new ITS will most likely sit between the Si and the new CTR in terms of power output, but little closer to the CTR.
Obviously nobody knows how much power the new CTR will pack, but I don't think it will be much more than what the FK8 had.
Somewhere in the 275-300hp range seems reasonable if they follow the same recipe they've used before.