• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sticky/Jerky Steering issue

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
interfere with the computers controlling the steering
Thanks for posting this detailed information Dan! This kind of information can help us all make good decisions about managing the ownership process, and is great for potential buyers. All cars have problems, and if you're ready for them, they don't hurt as much.

I'm glad there appears to be NO safety issue, but this is troubling anyway. Sharp work by the members to link it with Civic problems.

On a side note I have also experienced inconsistency with the way the phone link works. I'm an Android guy, so the problems are the same, but different. Hopefully the software can be de-bugged (and that's all it is) in the next several months. Tesla has demonstrated a real ability to resolve system issues wit over-the-air updates, I'd like to think that Honda can do just as well.

How02176

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra Aspec
I got in the Integra this afternoon to drive about 25 miles (and back). I noticed a few strange behaviors with CarPlay and a problem with the steering. The first clue that something wasn't right was that wireless CarPlay activated when I started the car. I don't use wireless CarPlay, in fact I keep Bluetooth turned off in the Integra so that it can't connect automatically. I hadn't turned it on, but today it came on. I scolded the car, connected with the USB cable I always use, and turned off Bluetooth again. Everything seemed OK.

I looked up the destination in Apple Maps and started to drive. Before I got out of my neighborhood, I noticed the navigation display was lagging. Seemed more like a phone/GPS issue - the CarPlay UI was responsive, but the marker was consistently stuck a few intersections back or slightly off the road and saying "Proceed to the Route". I chalked it up to a phone issue and decided to reboot that later.

As I got out onto the 45MPH somewhat curvy roads, I noticed the steering was behaving strangely. At low speeds (from stop lights), the wheel turned fine. But cruising at 45-50, the wheel was very resistant to any slight movements to correct and stay straight or go around a turn. I've got 3000 miles on the car so I know what the steering feels like in Comfort, Sport, and Normal I tried all 3 and they didn' t make a difference. It felt very "sticky", like the wheel wanted to stay in place. I could turn it slightly, take my hand off, and it would stay. And If I wanted to turn it, I had to apply more force than usual. Felt like power steering was broken, but again only at cruising speeds. I made sure LKAS and departure warnings were off - but again I know what those feel like and this wasn't it. The whole trip, maps was always behind. I was out in the clear, no reason for GPS to have trouble. Music playback and control was fine though.

I got to where I was going, turned the car off (but left the phone plugged in to USB). When I started up again 10 minutes later, same problem. It felt normal driving in the parking lot, but once I got above like 35MPH, steering became very jerky again. Maps was still acting up.

When I was about 5 miles from home (still on a 45MPH road, but straighter), I pulled the USB cable out of the console and disconnected CarPlay. Instantly, the steering feel came back to normal. After a minute or two I tried plugging the USB cable back in, but CarPlay wouldn't reconnect. Seems like the phone or the infotainment were having trouble communicating.

I wouldn't think there would be any way the iPhone USB connection could be causing a problem with steering, but it seems pretty clear that's what was happening. Am I nuts? Anyone seen anything like this?

My guess (as a programmer who's never worked on critical real-time systems like those in a car) is that the iPhone was sending bad data or too many updates and overwhelming the infotainment system. Or the infotainment booted up in a buggy state and couldn't ever process things right. Either way, I'm not sure how it could interfere with the computers controlling the steering feedback, but I suppose if that's tied into the instrument cluster display and such, it's possible. wtf.
I took it to the dealership and complaint about the steering issue. The tech drove it with me on the highway and notice the same issue. They were kind enough enough to gave me a free loaner and replaced the whole steering rack at.l no charge.

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S, '16 ES350 and hopefully a '23 Integra
I took it to the dealership and complaint about the steering issue. The tech drove it with me on the highway and notice the same issue. They were kind enough enough to gave me a free loaner and replaced the whole steering rack at.l no charge.
This seems to be the most effect remedy in the Civic. Normally with a lot more grief than you went through!! Sounds like you have a good dealer.

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
the sticky steering happened a little bit about a week ago. Not as severe as my original post but still noticeable. I made an appointment and took the car in to the dealership today. It wasn’t acting up yesterday or today though so I expected the visit would mostly be to report that it happened once.

When I got there, I explained the problem to the service advisor. He was very dismissive, suggesting it was just in sport mode or something and I didn’t notice. I had to push back pretty hard to assert that it was not normal behavior and that it’s a commonly reported problem with the Civic

When I described how the steering problem disappeared when I unplugged my iPhone he started shaking his head, insisting that the systems were separate and that was impossible. Not a great first impression.

A few minutes later a tech came out and took me for a ride. the steering was fine, but he was still very helpful. He said they hadn’t seen a complaint like this yet from a customer and nothing on their internal forums. Fair enough. He did in suggesting what to look for or document (e.g. Temperature conditions, time, etc) if it happens again, for info to bring to engineering. Ironically the technician was much better at working with customers than the ”service advisor”.

So they didn’t really do anything, but the problem hasn’t come back as severe either. I have some debugging I’m going to do to see if it’s an app on my phone (maybe the AcuraLink app-or one of my CarPlay-enabled apps) but unless it comes back and stays I probably won’t get much from the dealer.

TheRas900

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Macan S, '16 ES350 and hopefully a '23 Integra
Thanks for this follow up. The symptoms appear to get worse over time in the Civic, and steering rack replacement (which are backordered) seems to be a lasting fix. Hopefully yours is something different but if not at least the remedy is known.

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Thanks for this follow up. The symptoms appear to get worse over time in the Civic, and steering rack replacement (which are backordered) seems to be a lasting fix. Hopefully yours is something different but if not at least the remedy is known.
TBH Id prefer if it’s the known thing 😂. Once the parts are available of course.

PJK3

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Liquid Carbon Metallic / Red A-Spec Tech
Count me in @ ~5,300 miles. I noticed it at the outset, but during a 1,200 mile road trip this weekend, it really started standing out how the steering was very sticky feeling at times. Not dangerously so, but definitely requiring more effort to get it started moving for small adjustments after being in a single position (straight) for a brief time.

I also toggled between Comfort, Normal, and Sport and noticed no difference in the behavior.

I didn't notice it to be linked to wireless Android Auto (which is what I use), but I also didn't think to link them. I will check the next time I notice the sticky feeling.

Subscribing to see what comes of this.

OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Thanks for sharing, @PJK3 and glad to know your experience with wireless android auto. I may be reading too much into my infotainment-related behaviors, but I don't want to ignore them. Could be two problems with the same symptoms.

I just posted in https://www.civic11forum.com/threads/22-civic-lx-steering-wheel-sticking.2652/page-5#post-42988 since there's quite a few Civic owners reporting this. Basically it happened again pretty severely yesterday, and it stopped happening for the one drive where I didn't connect my phone at all.

P.S. I'd encourage you to fill out a report here https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Ironically the technician was much better at working with customers than the ”service advisor”.
Probably making less money than the SA, too. Good techs that are also good at customer service usually move on when they realize this industry screws them.

iLLNESS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra Elite A-Spec
Having the same issue on my Integra. I took it in and they said they couldn’t reproduce it.
Things I note:
  • It’s only jerky on initial movements. As soon as it gets past the resistance it moves freely until you stop moving the steering for a period of time.
  • It seems to take a while after cooldown to start acting up
  • Left turns do not return the wheels back to center where as right turns do indicating something is holding the steering/binding (or perhaps alignment issues? Untested).
  • Driving in snow is where this is dangerous. With how jerky the steering is, it can be hard to tell if the snow is pulling your wheels and you are more likely to correct phantom pulling of the car caused by snow which could cause you to lose control

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
Read through all the threads. Seems like the evidence points to EPS gear box and/or steering rack. Small defects in the rack at higher speed and heat from long drives show up. Also there is a CRV recall for EPS gear box short circuiting causing power steering to go out. I think if they replaced the gearbox and rack, you should be good.
I don't fully believe that. As if there was an updated box/rack then new cars would be getting it. It sounds more like it's a "luck of the draw" and they are just hoping that if they replace it you LIKELY wont get another with an issue, and there is a chance that even after having it replaced you'll get the issue again.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
My guess (as a programmer who's never worked on critical real-time systems like those in a car) is that the iPhone was sending bad data or too many updates and overwhelming the infotainment system. Or the infotainment booted up in a buggy state and couldn't ever process things right. Either way, I'm not sure how it could interfere with the computers controlling the steering feedback, but I suppose if that's tied into the instrument cluster display and such, it's possible. wtf.
Sounds like a possibility of something over loading a shared BUS, but that would be really poor design. I'd wait to see if that's actually a repeatable fix though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Leehro

Leehro

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra 6MT
Sounds like a possibility of something over loading a shared BUS, but that would be really poor design. I'd wait to see if that's actually a repeatable fix though.
yeah maybe. Could be totally mechanical and unrelated. I’ve been keeping notes every time I drive.

I swapped out the USB cable I was using on Sunday and it hasn’t happened since. Still keeping notes though.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Add me to the list.

Background: went grocery shopping and through an auto car wash to remove the salt from last week. Got home and got the emergency call in to work while I was unloading groceries. Drove 2 miles to work, spent 3 minutes fixing the computer that no one else could fix to make sure payroll clears.

About 1/4 mile after leaving, going 35mph in 4th gear up a mild incline with 2815 miles on the odo, I went to follow the slight left and BAM - the wheel fought me. It didn't feel like a "no power steering" it was a "this steering wheel is not going to move." It was surprising enough, I spoke a "Hello" to myself. I immediately knew what this was so I gave it a slight right - normal, back left for the original correction: normal again.

1 month back from the last warranty ordeal now I'm joining the rest of you in this new journey.

Edit: I use wireless AA every time I drive