• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Integra SH-AWD confirmed? Possibly

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
I really dont get why people bitch about CVT. The problem is that companies nerf them due to people complaining "but mah shift feel!'

Probably the smoothest modern car I've driven was an auto was a 2013 Nissan Altima with a CVT before they started to program in "fake shifts" because people couldn't understand its DOESNT shift and complained that it needed to be fixed. Also a CVT can hold the optimal power point for your rev range, which is all adding gears to a standard Auto does. The only downside to them is their ability to endure heat for long periods.

I used to get 45+MPG on the highway regularly with the aircon on in a CVT Altima, and it was smooth as could be the whole trip. I'm a manual lover, but if I had a CVT Integra did that good as a comfortable daily that could just soak up the miles I'd still be happy with it.
The issue is that they are loud and sound terrible. And they aren’t durable at all. The Nissan in your example is a perfect testament, they break constantly. Hondas are better of course. But I’ll pass.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Why is it an insult? Acura doesn’t owe you anything! I think about the other ways that Audi, BMW, etc. take a shit on their customers with the A3, 2 Series GC, etc. Acura is at least bringing a manual to the table, what are pretty much guaranteed to be top safety ratings, 5 door versatility, an excellent foundation for fun handling, etc.,etc.,etc.
Couldn’t be more inaccurate IMO. Acura does owe us all something. Just like any company making a product for a consumer does. They’ve made a commitment to be performance driven again. So all the hype and all the talk just to give it a CVT, would be insulting to everyone who believed their statements.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
It wouldn't even be that much of a cost cut (in development) given that the DCT in the ILX is completely developed and paid for thanks to the long lifespan of the ILX and the first gen TLX that used it. It can already handle the 200+hp the 1.5T will have. BUT given that it's the only model that has that transmission, it would be added cost on the production side which could be a reason to not use it and instead spend the time and money to bolster the CVT to handle the power.

I don't HATE the CVT. My last 3 civics had them, and they pair very well IMO to the turbo in that they can keep the engine in it's optimum torque and power range for pretty seamless power up to the limit once everything spools up. However, I feel like to make the most of the probably 200hp the Integra will get, and to help bolster the sporty/performance marketing of the car (and the brand), the stepped DCT would be a better fit and probably be better at squeezing the most oomph from the modest power the car will make.

Regardless of which transmission they do go with, as others have said, it's all about gearing and ECU mapping. My 19' civic coupe with stock 173hp and CVT manages 0-60 in 6.7 seconds (quick for an economy car). Compared to the new civic after honda made "tweaks and changes for efficiency and driveability" with 180hp doing the same run almost a second slower, not helped by added weight, even the Si is slower than my coupe in most instances in a straight line. Take into account additional weight of the Integra and assuming it won't get bumped beyond the 200hp Si figure, they'll really have to work on transmission tuning to make sure their $30k+ sport premium compact doesn't end up a 8+ second slug to 60.

While cars like the civic and integra have always been more about handling than outright speed, there has to be a cutoff to when the cost of the vehicle no longer justifies how slow it is, regardless of handling prowess. Most entry level premium and luxury cars manage the run in around 6.5 seconds, and Acura really needs to try and get within a few tenths of that number.
Yep. Added weight and no added power with a CVT equals very slow. Throw in the DCT and now it will feel much faster. So IMO it’s DCT or more power with CVT. Which isn’t ideal since CVT with added power is scary.

Hondabob

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Civic Si
Couldn’t be more inaccurate IMO. Acura does owe us all something. Just like any company making a product for a consumer does. They’ve made a commitment to be performance driven again. So all the hype and all the talk just to give it a CVT, would be insulting to everyone who believed their statements.
yeah that’s really what it boils down to. I believed what they were selling and it seems like they clowned me good. The new Integra honestly looks amazing, but like Robb said there’s only so much you can cost cut before you say wow that’s just not worth the extra money.

Hopefully by the end of next week we have the full specs to really see what they did and we will all be pleasantly suprised.

Litflynt912

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Civic EXL HB 2023 Integra A Spec Tech
Man we all kind of went a bit cvt crazy in this thread lol. I know I contributed

In the end, it was stated numerous times that the changes of a VTEC are high and I could be mistaken but a vtec isn’t a cvt. It would be a 4banger turbo.

from a marketing stance I get why Acura slow rolls information out but for the die hard enthusiast that spends time on a dedicated forum, their doing a disservice to the first to buy/place orders

so I’m calling it. Even if I’m wrong

4 cyl vtec on a DCT/manual pumping out 220hp on the Aspec.

they have to make it a run above the civic Si. Like all Honda engines. They’ll rate it 10-20hp below what it can actually output

Nerd-Vol

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Si Sedan, 2004 S2000
Man we all kind of went a bit cvt crazy in this thread lol. I know I contributed

In the end, it was stated numerous times that the changes of a VTEC are high and I could be mistaken but a vtec isn’t a cvt. It would be a 4banger turbo.

from a marketing stance I get why Acura slow rolls information out but for the die hard enthusiast that spends time on a dedicated forum, their doing a disservice to the first to buy/place orders

they have to make it a run above the civic Si. Like all Honda engines. They’ll rate it 10-20hp below what it can actually output
I feel super arbitrary on what I want HP wise out of it. I currently own a 2019 Si so I want a small step up in performance at minimum. 220hp would definitely make me feel good about getting one in year 2. 240 or more, (essentially a GTi) has me considering a reservation.

I feel like there are a lot of ways Acura can go. I am preparing my heart to be underwhelmed though.

Litflynt912

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Civic EXL HB 2023 Integra A Spec Tech
I feel super arbitrary on what I want HP wise out of it. I currently own a 2019 Si so I want a small step up in performance at minimum. 220hp would definitely make me feel good about getting one in year 2. 240 or more, (essentially a GTi) has me considering a reservation.

I feel like there are a lot of ways Acura can go. I am preparing my heart to be underwhelmed though.
Truth be told as long as it’s 200+ I’d be fine because Honda always underscores their HP. Even the 22 SI has a higher output than advertised.
less than 13 days until reservations and hopefully a few more days until more specs are released. The calm before the storm

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.

Base Integra wouldn’t go to 240 HP. It would be to close at that point to the Type S output. I think 220 HP will be the number on paper Acura puts out.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt
The issue is that they are loud and sound terrible. And they aren’t durable at all. The Nissan in your example is a perfect testament, they break constantly. Hondas are better of course. But I’ll pass.
I mean i've had many more non-CVT transmissions break with less milage and abuse than the CVT I had endured without issue.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt

Every previous Integra/RSX proves you wrong. I don't get why people keep saying this. It has NEVER been the case and NO reason to think it ever will.
Even look at Audi, the A3 is less power than the GTI and the s3 is less power than the Golf-R.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
What will be interesting is the dyno. They could say 220 on paper to appear more than the Si. But it could be identical. They easily could have marketed the Si at 220 based on its dyno. Could all be part of the reason they dropped the Si power on paper. To give a bigger difference with the integra, even though it’s the same.

Or if they say 220, will it actually have 20 more hp over the Si.

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
What will be interesting is the dyno. They could say 220 on paper to appear more than the Si. But it could be identical. They easily could have marketed the Si at 220 based on its dyno. Could all be part of the reason they dropped the Si power on paper. To give a bigger difference with the integra, even though it’s the same.

Or if they say 220, will it actually have 20 more hp over the Si.
As long as the 20hp hidden potential of the Si is unlocked for the Integra and it performs like it has 20+ hp more than the Si. If they claim 220 but it still puts down the same or worse numbers than the Si, then it's all just marketing garbage. Given that the TLX saw about 20hp more than the accord 2.0T, hopefully the Integra will be the same. It won't gain nearly as much weight over the civic compared to what the TLX gained over the accord.

Honestly, they can slap whatever number they want on the power figures as long as the car is capable of doing a 0-60 in about 6.5 seconds or better, I'll be happy with that. And yea, I'm sure even if it doesn't a light tune would get it there... but there's just something annoying to me of spending $30k+ and then having to spend another $600-800 for a tuner to get performance the car should have out the door, and at that point, I'd probably be more swayed to the Civic ST hatch and tune it to get those kinds of numbers.