• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Honda Trademarks "Prelude" and "CRX" for Apparel!

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Sent to me by a friend it appears that Honda has recently filed for the Trademarks of Prelude and CRX... these specific filings relate to clothing, accessories, toys, and more. But many here will remember that the Integra Type S also saw a similar trademark type before it was ever confirmed by Acura. (screenshots attached)

Now, based on the teaser image Honda gave a few months back of 2 electrified sports cars under sheets it was already assumed a new Prelude was coming as Honda's EV sports coupe, and the other car they teased being the next gen NSX.

However, the trademark filing for CRX is quite the suprise to me. Now Honda hasn't exactly been the leaders of exciting or niche products lately other than the CTR, so I'm tempering my hopes and dreams... but the possibility of a new CRX sports coupe/hatch is an exciting one.

My guess on this would be a civic platform based 2 door hatch/liftback using Honda's new Hybrid powertrain from the new Accord and CRV hybrids. Positioning it in terms of price and relative performance to compete in the same general realm as the Toyobaru twins. At the same time... it could also just be reserved to be used as a trim level of an upcoming civic hybrid... or even worse... a crossover. But given Honda's belief in at least trying to keep their legacy names in line with what they've historically been, I'd hope a crossover wouldn't be what they'd do.

Knowing full well this would be a niche' vehicle for them but seeing that Toyota has 2 sports coupes they decided to bring back the CRX nameplate. It makes the most sense given their current electrification goals that it will most likely be a hybrid rather than a full EV at this time as their "small affordable EVs" with GM aren't due until after 2030. And the two full EVs they teased almost definitely show the Prelude and NSX. This would give them 2 competitors at two price points... Prelude competes with Supra, CRX competes with GR86.

It also makes sense why (besides low take rates) they cancelled the civic coupe for the 11th gen to possibly divert R&D dollars to this new model. Part of the civic coupes issue was that it was never sporty or different enough from its sedan counterpart to really get people as excited as a more dedicated sports model. But a more sport focused small car in the $30k range could garner a few more sales than the civic coupe did and even potentially offer a second option to those that had been hoping for an Integra coupe.

Time will tell... I'm cautiously optimistic... I believe the new sports EVs were due sometime around 2025. Given the close filing of this trademark I would assume 2025 would also be true for this CRX name to come about in some way, shape, or form. I'd be all over a small 2 door hatch hybrid with the 204hp hybrid setup personally.

IMG_4363.PNG

IMG_4364.PNG

honda-ev-sports-cars-1649776879.jpeg