• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Driving a manual car

At what rpm do you generally shift up to the next gear?

• Total voters

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Insight, Subaru Impreza, Subaru Outback
Just trying to find out what rpm do most people shift up.

Xhilr8n!

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lotus Elise, Civic Si, Tundra, Tacoma, 720
It is not that simple.

A zillion variables come to mind including what mood Iā€™m in. But things like the road incline and just what my intentions are for the next shifts.

And thatā€™s the fun.

I go by ear, not the rev counter. If the drivetrain starts sounding scary, upshift. If it starts lugging down, downshift.

Repeat for years on all terrains and weathers. Happy motoringā€¦

OP
OP
Linas19

Linas19

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Insight, Subaru Impreza, Subaru Outback
It is not that simple.

A zillion variables come to mind including what mood Iā€™m in. But things like the road incline and just what my intentions are for the next shifts.

And thatā€™s the fun.

I go by ear, not the rev counter. If the drivetrain starts sounding scary, upshift. If it starts lugging down, downshift.

Repeat for years on all terrains and weathers. Happy motoringā€¦
I have been shifting based on how the engine sounds but it also depends on my mood. I usually shift between 2500 and 3500 rpm.

Xhilr8n!

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lotus Elise, Civic Si, Tundra, Tacoma, 720
This is how old people talk, apologies.

Did a bit of driving on all sorts of roads yesterday, and remembered that back when I learned manual, only cars that were considered high performance had rev counters. We had a number of VW bugs with three speeds, on mountainous roads. NC80 went by our property, a worthy challenger to the famous Dragon. Driving that with 50 hp and 3 speeds required a lot of successful quick shifts. And leaving some gear teeth along the way.

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
At a minimum 3k rpm. Never run a gear on throttle under 2k rpm.

OEMjoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra, 99 Audi A4
This is how old people talk, apologies.
Learned manual on a civic with no tach. Even with my Audi I don't pay attention to the tach. You feel the ideal shift point overtime for your driving style and environment. Just don't bog it or ride the rev limiter.

However, this engine is so quiet compared to older cars that I have to look at my RPMs just to know if I am in the correct gear though šŸ˜… I'm used to floppy laid back 5 speeds and NA engines so on my first drive it took a couple tries to get into 6th.