• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Choppy throttle response normal when driving at low speeds?

Hand soap

First Name
Gg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Prelude
Is it normal to get choppy throttle response? Steadily going 20 mph in second is causing the car to abruptly slow down as if Im tapping the breaks. First gear is even more noticable. I can hear grumbling from the exhaust as it happens so Im guessing its the cinnamon style exhaust causing some resistence. Just wondering if others are experiencing this. I dont think Im explaining this too well lol but if its happening youll know what Im talking about.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
I may have some insight on this, but your speed is only half of the equation here--I'm curious if you're driving the 6MT or CVT, and where you're at with your RPMs when this occurs.

If I had to guess, whether you're driving the 6MT or CVT model, you're experiencing this choppy throttle response when your RPMs are just below 1,800. If you're driving the 6MT model, you'll likely be able to mimic this issue at any speed/gear when the RPMs are under 1,800. This is because the turbo kicks in at 1,800+ RPMs, so the engine performance will be significantly different with/without that turbo.

OP
OP

Hand soap

First Name
Gg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Prelude
It's the 6mt. Thx for the insight. Ill have to see what the rpms are when it happens.

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
Runnin is on with his estimate.
I've also found that Drive mode makes a difference. Response is smoother in comfort and more on/off in
Sport mode.

RUNN1N

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Civic Type-R
It's the 6mt. Thx for the insight. Ill have to see what the rpms are when it happens.
I tried this out today, and I think it's an RPM issue--like @JohnV said, it's less of an issue in Comfort mode, but definitely more pronounced in Sport. In Comfort mode at 2nd gear, the RPMs don't hit 1800 until around 18-19mph.

JohnV

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 Ford C-Max Energi '19 Acura RDX
Every manual car I've driven -since 1978- has been nearly impossible to drive smoothly in 1st gear. Unless I need better acceleration, I always try and get into 2nd soon, around 10 mph.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I just wish there was more feel on the clutch engagement. I'm having a tough time shifting smoothly. It's all muscle memory on stroke amount I guess.

KTuner

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KTuner.com
Car(s)
2017 Si
If you're at a very light load you may be coming in and out of fuel cut deceleration, which also turns off at a certain low RPM. Between throttle, load, and RPM you may be engaging and disengaging fuel cut.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
If you're at a very light load you may be coming in and out of fuel cut deceleration, which also turns off at a certain low RPM. Between throttle, load, and RPM you may be engaging and disengaging fuel cut.
So solution.. give her the beans.

OP
OP

Hand soap

First Name
Gg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Prelude
Every manual car I've driven -since 1978- has been nearly impossible to drive smoothly in 1st gear. Unless I need better acceleration, I always try and get into 2nd soon, around 10 mph.
I understand but my prelude I just gave up was silky smooth even in first.
Also I drove today and it sorta loses power above 1800rpm. There's definite sputtering sounds coming from the exhaust as it happens so I'm really thinking it's the cinnamon style piping that's restricting airflow at low speeds.

OP
OP

Hand soap

First Name
Gg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Prelude
This could be as well

BKK Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 LCM/Red ASpec Tech 6MT
That raises the question, is the fuel cut point adjustable through your device?