• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Best place to get touch up paint?

wj4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-SPEC Tech
Hi all,

Sadly, I got a small rock chip on a door. I checked around online and couldn't find any places that sell OEM touch up paint for the Integra. Where are you folks getting yours from?

edlchiang62

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura A-spec
Are you able to get it at the local Acura dealership? That is where I got mine. It is expensive though.

Reactions: wj4

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Used Dr Colorchip for years and their paint is excellent.

OP
OP

wj4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you able to get it at the local Acura dealership? That is where I got mine. It is expensive though.
I can stop by for sure. I just wanted to ask to see if I can avoid the trip. Ironically, I was there earlier in the week. The quality build on mine isn't as great as my old car (TSX) was. How much is it if I may ask?

OP
OP

wj4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Used Dr Colorchip for years and their paint is excellent.
Thank you! This is pretty pricey compared to the touch up pens I'm used to, but their before/after pictures are amazing. I just bought a set. My Integra is white and upon checking the color, the below disclaimer showed up:
"Your vehicle has a tri-coat / 3-stage color, meaning it was painted with a base coat, pearl coat and a tinted clear coat. Our paint is a single stage formula and there is not a single stage formula that matches exactly. However, the paint your receive should allow for a close color match and yield far better results than using regular touch-up paint. Please check the box to acknowledge this."

Hopefully it blends in nicely. Thanks again :)

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Yeah. Dealer OEM touch up paint doesn’t have the clear coat mixed in. The color looks way off until you top it with clear.

Dr ColorChip is just one thing. I use the paint prep liquid. Then dab the paint and smudge it with my gloved finger. You want it flat. Wait like 5 min, then use their stage 2 and lightly wipe the excess off. You don’t want to get the towel too wet with stage 2 or rub hard or the paint in the chip will wipe off too. Might take a couple of layers too. I’d wait like 30 min between coats. But I’ve always been happy and the color granted I’ve never used their white, is spot on perfect.

Looking forward to before and after pics.

Last edited:
OP
OP

wj4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah. Dealer OEM touch up paint doesn’t have the clear coat mixed in. The color looks way off until you top it with clear.

Dr ColorChip is just one thing. I use the paint prep liquid. Then dab the paint and smudge it with my gloved finger. Wait like 5 min, thenused their stage 2 and lightly wipe the excess off. You don’t want to get the towel too wet with stage 2 or rub hard or the paint in the chip will wipe off too. Might take a couple of layers too. But I’ve always been happy and the color granted I’ve never used their white, is spot on perfect.
I never cared for my last car to this extent. I spent several hours today on this rabbit hole. LOL. Some people use sand paper too from what I see.

The overall message I got from the videos I saw today was that the blend will not be perfect, but it's to stop the rust from spreading.

If OEM touch up paint doesn't match well, how do they compete with the aftermarket brands?

Key takeaway: Go full PPF on the next car! LOL.

RRP RSX-S

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Just depends on the oem paint. But usually it’s not great. I don’t think it’s a market they really care if they’re competitive in.

Unless you are familiar with wet sanding and use a 3000+ grit, I wouldn’t bother sanding.

PPF is a great option. But a full car is gonna run like 5-8k for quality film and install.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
The dealer I bought my car from sent me touch up paint after I found a chip in the front bumper when I got home. It only took 2 months to arrive by mail. I havent used it since it's a plastic bumper and it arrived while my car was in the service dept for its other issues but at least they didn't charge me I guess. Once the temperatures and precipitation allow I can post a before/after of using that.

Based on the thread sounds as though you also have PWP.

OP
OP

wj4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Just depends on the oem paint. But usually it’s not great. I don’t think it’s a market they really care if they’re competitive in.

Unless you are familiar with wet sanding and use a 3000+ grit, I wouldn’t bother sanding.

PPF is a great option. But a full car is gonna run like 5-8k for quality film and install.
I hear ya. My friends with supercars get that treatment for theirs from the dealership. They can drive to cars and coffee once in a while in peace, lol.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!

OP
OP

wj4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The dealer I bought my car from sent me touch up paint after I found a chip in the front bumper when I got home. It only took 2 months to arrive by mail. I havent used it since it's a plastic bumper and it arrived while my car was in the service dept for its other issues but at least they didn't charge me I guess. Once the temperatures and precipitation allow I can post a before/after of using that.

Based on the thread sounds as though you also have PWP.
Yep. I have PWP as well!

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
Well, first time detailing the car after the month at the dealer and there a a chip in the rear door that was not there before I took it to the dealer. Already was rusting so it must gave been there for a while.

Here's the before/after using the Acura PWP touch up kit per instructions. Luckily, it's in an inconspicuous location and relatively small...

20230108_155315.jpg

20230108_164331.jpg

OP
OP

wj4

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Sorry to see that, man. How many layers did you do? At least it stopped the rust from spreading. Mine is a small spot on the crease of the driver door.

submitaweasel

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra M/T
I just did 1 layer. It was 36 degrees today and the sun was setting. Didn't want it to not cure. The rust was my main concern. The pic is also without the clear. It was dark by the time the clear dried so it may match a little better.

2006rsx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 RSX. Also owned a 1998 GS-R
Touch up paint is available from the dealers. The discount price is $14. part number for red is:
08703r568paa-a1.
black pearl is : 08703-nh893paa-a1.
Anyone find wheel locks at a discount?