• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Backup Camera Resolution

Palut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra
Does the Integra's backup camera have poor resolution and image quality? To everyone who has taken delivery of their car, does the camera image look ok to you compared to other cars?

I test drove an A-Spec CVT with Tech package yesterday and I noticed that the backup camera image was very blurry and pixelated. To ensure that it wasn't just that particular car I also looked at a second car, an A-Spec 6M with Tech, and the image quality was just as bad.

I would appreciate it if you could post an image of what your backup camera's video looks like. What we saw yesterday has convinced my wife that the Integra is cheaply made and turned her off of the car. If that's not the typical display quality then having some evidence to show her would really help me in my quest to get a new Integra.

Thanks

Xcfool

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Liquid Carbon Tech 6spd
Agree it isn't great resolution and the camera lense will need to cleaned often but how hi-rez does it really need to be?

NeoDiNardo

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Red Honda Civic Type R
I was always wondering if there are plug and play camera upgrades you could do lol like put in a superior lense and camera sensor.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Palut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra
Agree it isn't great resolution and the camera lense will need to cleaned often but how hi-rez does it really need to be?
I do agree that it does have at least the minimum resolution to get the job done, but I'm surprised that Honda would choose to put such a low quality camera in an Acura. I've never seen a backup camera that looks this bad, even in cheap, mass market rental cars. Most of the car feels premium, or at least nice, but then this camera is right in the customer's face just screaming "I'm cheap!"

It's a questionable business decision: This is a highly visible part of the car that the customer will look at intently almost every time they drive the car. Cameras aren't terribly expensive compared to some other components. Obviously, adding even a small cost over a large production run does add up to a significant cost, but how does that total compare to the cost of damaging Acura's brand by putting a cheap component directly in the customer's face?

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra A-Spec Tech
I do agree that it does have at least the minimum resolution to get the job done, but I'm surprised that Honda would choose to put such a low quality camera in an Acura. I've never seen a backup camera that looks this bad, even in cheap, mass market rental cars. Most of the car feels premium, or at least nice, but then this camera is right in the customer's face just screaming "I'm cheap!"

It's a questionable business decision: This is a highly visible part of the car that the customer will look at intently almost every time they drive the car. Cameras aren't terribly expensive compared to some other components. Obviously, adding even a small cost over a large production run does add up to a significant cost, but how does that total compare to the cost of damaging Acura's brand by putting a cheap component directly in the customer's face?
To be fair, the backup camera was never a selling point for me. Knowing my car's motor could last 200k+ miles and a warranty that'll last the length of loan I took out for it, exterior styling as well as interior tech such as the sound system, HUD and seating controls, are what had me shopping this car.

I've been driving it as my daily for the last month and I could not be happier with my purchase decision!

With all that being said, a nicer rear view camera wouldn't hurt lol but def didn't deter me from purchasing the vehicle at all

RobbJK

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
It's fairly well documented that Honda/Acura use cheap cameras for their backup cameras. It's all over the civic forums as well as other models. Honda was the first automaker to make backup cameras standard in ALL of their cars, and my guess is they signed a lengthy contract with a supplier to get a certain amount of the cameras before the contract expires, unfortunately, what was decent 15 years ago isn't really up to snuff now, but they just keep putting them in all of their products.

That said, as someone who's had 4 Hondas with the same camera/resolution (and mine also has the lane watch camera), it gets the job done... I spend all of a few seconds backing up every day or merging to the right on the freeway, so it's hardly something that I base the rest of the car off of. It is kind of dumb on Honda's part to not put something newer and nicer in the Acuras given the price premium they command over their honda siblings (even tho the cameras honestly aren't even good enough for mass market anymore either). But again, it gets the job done and is used in such a limited capacity that it doesn't really matter. Any honda/acura product is going to have many other much better selling points than a backup camera.

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It's fairly well documented that Honda/Acura use cheap cameras for their backup cameras. It's all over the civic forums as well as other models. Honda was the first automaker to make backup cameras standard in ALL of their cars, and my guess is they signed a lengthy contract with a supplier to get a certain amount of the cameras before the contract expires, unfortunately, what was decent 15 years ago isn't really up to snuff now, but they just keep putting them in all of their products.

That said, as someone who's had 4 Hondas with the same camera/resolution (and mine also has the lane watch camera), it gets the job done... I spend all of a few seconds backing up every day or merging to the right on the freeway, so it's hardly something that I base the rest of the car off of. It is kind of dumb on Honda's part to not put something newer and nicer in the Acuras given the price premium they command over their honda siblings (even tho the cameras honestly aren't even good enough for mass market anymore either). But again, it gets the job done and is used in such a limited capacity that it doesn't really matter. Any honda/acura product is going to have many other much better selling points than a backup camera.
I do miss my lane watch camera from my 10th gen civic :( I catch myself looking at my center console still even after a month now in the Integra. man, I wish they kept it in the 11th gen and put it in the Integra. I thought that thing was so cool.

bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bullitt

SeanIsElsewhere

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Really, what cars have good cameras?
Just watched Doug Dā€™s review of the Koenigsegg Agera RS1 the other day (for the umpteenth time; love that car) and the rear camera is pretty sweet. The location of it it too! Letā€™s you see when you spit flames. Then again. The car is a few millions smackersā€¦

MLowe05

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 G70 Sport 6MT
Our Hyundai products have always had pretty good backup cameras.

The one in my mom's 2022 Civic Touring, though, is abysmal. Probably the same one they're putting in the Integra.

NeoDiNardo

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Red Honda Civic Type R
I am too, the camera quality is fine. I actually want better back up lights. My break lights are stronger than my back up lights, and the camera does quite a bit better with more light in a dark parking lot.

Integra23

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Type S in the house!
I am too, the camera quality is fine. I actually want better back up lights. My break lights are stronger than my back up lights, and the camera does quite a bit better with more light in a dark parking lot.
That's my request as well. You can't see a thing behind you in the mirrors when backing up at night. I saw they sell turn signals for the reflectors in the bumper. Now if someone made a backup light that would fit these that would be neat