• Welcome to Integraforums.com everyone!

If you're joining us from CivicX.com, then you may already have an account here!

As long as you were registered on CivicX.com as of May 24, 2020 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

1.5L TurboCharged Engine a ticking bomb?

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Hello,

Just finished watching Scotty Kilmer on Youtube. Maybe many of you already heard of him, but he said that pushing the Engine especially the small 1.5 L and making it TurboCharged, is very risky and not very reliable. I have heard from others saying similar things on the internet. Some say, if you dont PUSH it too hard it should be fine. But having bought an Integra, I think we are all here to have some fun occasionally. What are your thoughts? Please let me know!

A3REDT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6MT, 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 6
I ran a turbocharged direct-injected VW 2.0l to 150k and it's still going strong. I expect the Honda to double the VWs longevity with far less maintenance cost, but we shall see. I think the tech in these cars will be way more problematic in the long run than the engines; but for now I assume that's all a long way off.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Scotty sounds & looks like an annoying know it all drunk to me. He’s ok with his info at times, but should present more evidence for his wild opinions. I know exactly what video you’re describing. I’d go by what Honda mechanics & users on the forums here say for the same engine platform, but don’t let him rile ya up. That’s his whole click bait popularity prerogative.

OP
OP
tyt2lynnin1

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Hey thanks for the reply. The funny thjng is he made a video about how great the 2023 integra was just a month or two ago and now hes stomping on it xD i cant believe he has the fan base that he has with his daily "this will change the entire car insustry" videos lololol

OP
OP
tyt2lynnin1

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
I ran a turbocharged direct-injected VW 2.0l to 150k and it's still going strong. I expect the Honda to double the VWs longevity with far less maintenance cost, but we shall see. I think the tech in these cars will be way more problematic in the long run than the engines; but for now I assume that's all a long way off.
thanks for the reassurance! Do you often drive it hard? I usually grandma it but if i need to pass someone i stomp on the acceleration lol but yeah would have been great if they gave us a 2.0l turbocharger that would be a beast! I was gonna do a hondata tune but maybe not for now since car is new :)

solman

First Name
Sol
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra ASPEC 6MT TECH, 2011 Ford F250
Time will tell how the 1.5 turbo holds up in the long run. If pushed hard on a daily basis I suppose the outcome will be problematic, this is true for a lot of platforms out there.
As for Scotty Kilmer while I think he has a good grip on the automotive repair field, many of his posts are exaggerated click bait and contradictory. I guess it helps keep his hit numbers up on YouTube.

A3REDT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra 6MT, 2015 Chevrolet Camaro SS 6
thanks for the reassurance! Do you often drive it hard? I usually grandma it but if i need to pass someone i stomp on the acceleration lol but yeah would have been great if they gave us a 2.0l turbocharger that would be a beast! I was gonna do a hondata tune but maybe not for now since car is new :)
If you want the engine to last I would not tune it. The factory tune has way more thorough testing performed in its development than anything aftermarket ever will.

Change the oil at 50% of the recommended interval and use a good quality oil and filter. I do run the car hard a few times a week, but it is always once the engine is completely up to temperature and I always use sport mode when doing so to ensure stop/start is disabled. These DI engines can have major carbon buildup issues, so I consider running the car hard occasionally to be a preventative maintenance item.

KiloFTW

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Integra M/T
I’m not qualified to have an opinion on engine reliability, but I bought this car to lean on it, on occasion.

I’m not abusing it, but it’s advertised as a fun car and I intend to get my fun. For now at least, I trust Honda to have done the math on reliability.

lnf

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lunar Silver, 6MT Integra
The L15CA motor, like the L15B7, is fine if you keep up on maintenance and don’t try to shove a bunch of power into it without supporting mods.

It seems these motors do fine with autox events and occasional track days, stock. Just keep up on maintenance.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Also, if a YouTuber keeps titling things like “You’re stupid if you do this!!” I automatically feel like punching them. 😆 Definitely better ways to get points across to people.

OP
OP
tyt2lynnin1

tyt2lynnin1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Acura Integra
Thanks guys, I unsubscribed his ass xD but i do want to do a tune though but yeah as others have mentioned might be a risk if i want my car to run safely and smooth.

bpebler

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 ITS, 20 Durango
Thanks guys, I unsubscribed his ass xD but i do want to do a tune though but yeah as others have mentioned might be a risk if i want my car to run safely and smooth.
Not speaking from experience, just from what I see from others on here - there’s definitely some good, reliable tunes out there. Could always just get a mild base tune & go from there - Hondata, KTuner, Phearable I hear about the most that work well overall.

Palut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Integra
I thought Scott Kilmer was dead!! Turns out it was an urban legend. Hahaha!

I think that boosting an engine beyond its factory design is generally bad for reliability, but manufacturers such as Honda likely know how to tune turbo engines to live reliable lives when they are actually designing the whole system.

Given that the Integra doesn't even have a boost gauge it seems that those engine shouldn't be too highly strung. I'm assuming that Honda is willing to have regular drivers drive this engine like they would a naturally aspirated one without it blowing up.

TeggyTypeS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Integra Type S LCM/Red
I thought Scott Kilmer was dead!! Turns out it was an urban legend. Hahaha!

I think that boosting an engine beyond its factory design is generally bad for reliability, but manufacturers such as Honda likely know how to tune turbo engines to live reliable lives when they are actually designing the whole system.

Given that the Integra doesn't even have a boost gauge it seems that those engine shouldn't be too highly strung. I'm assuming that Honda is willing to have regular drivers drive this engine like they would a naturally aspirated one without it blowing up.
It’s literally the same exact engine and transmission out of the Civic Si which has a boost gauge.